Using and caring for reusable nappies
Reusable nappies can be an absolute dream to use! By sticking to a simple wash routine, you can easily incorporate them into your lifestyle.
Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Always follow the wash care instructions on the label.
- Wash reusable nappies a few times prior to use to increase their absorbency.
- If you are using a lower water temperature for washing, follow immediately with a 10 minute warm cycle to kill any bacteria left.
- Use disposable or reusable eco-friendly nappy liners to protect your nappies and to make the removal of solids much easier.
- Line your nappy bucket with a laundry mesh and just pop the whole bag into the machine hassle free- this way, you won’t have to touch dirty nappies.
- Use non-biological powder specially made for cloth nappies. Enzymes present in some bio detergents can corrode natural fibers.
- Line dry where possible. The sun is a natural bleach and it kills bacteria too. If needed, tumble dry on low heat to keep nappies at their softest.
- Don’t use fabric softeners or liquid detergent. They coat the fabric fibers which decreases the absorbency of the nappies.
- Don’t use bleach or other harsh stain removers. They deteriorate fabrics faster and shorten the life span of cloth nappies.
- Don’t boil or wash reusable nappies with the baby cycle - extremely high temperatures will wear them down quickly.
- Don’t use bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. They can dissolve cotton and bamboo fibers.